Taking Online Donations & Event Payments
Most likely, your church database provider (or ChMS; Church Management Software) includes an integrated donation/payment module. In fact, most ChMS software is built specifically around payments and donations. That's where they make their money! It's not just your monthly software subscription!
So, start with your database solution if you have one. It'll integrate with your check processing and other administrative functions your administrator/treasurer is already doing. Otherwise, by adding a separate online donation piece, you are adding a big administrative task to someone else's plate.
If you do not have a database, but are looking to add online payments/donation functionality, there are some easy solutions to implement:
- EasyTithe.com: Lots of features for a competitive price; 1.99% plus .30 per transaction. Also offers events registration and custom storefront pages. Drawbacks are that there is no features of custom email receipts and mobile card readers are not available.
- Paperless Transaction Corporation: Lowest cost; 1.75% plus .22 per transaction. Great tools offered that include custom event-themed pages, all payment types are accepted, tickets and sponsorships are supported, digital checkout with scannable bar coding or ticketing, and more.
- Pushpay: Minimum monthly fee of $99 and average credit card transaction fee of $2.50. Drawback is that Pushpay's mobile giving happens through the pushpay mobile app and not through a church's own branding mobile giving page.
- SecureGive: Church-specific software provider. Starting at $69/month for online/mobile giving. Add-ons exist for additional costs such as events, pledges, and campaigns.
- Tithe.ly: 2.9% + .30 per transaction. Simple interface. Simple online giving. Some integration with ChMS like Breeze, Elvanto, and CCB. Text giving is an additional $19 per month.
This information changes all the time as companies develop new tools. Had great experience with one of them? Bad experience? Help develop these resources by emailing Mike@EpiscopalColorado.org with your feedback or submit a resource below.